- 40-second green roof views sustain attention: The role of micro-breaks in attention restoration Neuroscience study showing how exposure to nature can help significantly restore participants’ focus.
- Sustained Attention in Auditory and Visual Monitoring Tasks: Evaluation of the Administration of a Rest Break or Exogenous Vibrotactile Signals. Research paper.
- Experient Podcast: Event Behavioral Insights: Do You Know What You Don’t Know? [PODCAST]
- How Background Music Influences Our Behavior at Work
Biases and effects
- First Impressions matter [PODCAST]
- The decoy effect: how you are influenced to choose without really knowing it
- How to Use the Ben Franklin Effect to Increase Loyalty
- Go Deep: 3 Psychological Effects an Event Planner Should Be Aware of. 3 psy effects in the context of business events: Paradox of Choice; Peak-End Rule; and Planning Fallacy.
- Cognitive Bias Cheat sheet. A helpful list of cognitive biases
- This is Your Brain on Events. How unconscious influences, and not logic, affect our behavior and decision-making, and how it affects event design.
- What Do Your Attendees Really Want? An article about using Emotional Analytics to understand what your attendees feel and think.
- Incandescent affect: Turning on the hot emotional system with bright light. Research paper on how intensity of light influences our emotional state.
- The influences of Emotion on learning and memory. Research paper
- Social Psychology of Networks: Influence of Emotion on Perception of Personal and Professional Networks. Research paper.
- Feeling more together: group attention intensifies emotion. Research paper.
- Dynamic spread of happiness in a large social network: longitudinal analysis over 20 years in the Framingham Heart Study. Research on emotion contagion.
- 5 ways Neuroscience Drives Engagement at Events Understanding what is behind engagement processes and how it works would help deliberately design for better engagement, here is a good read on the topic.
- How Sleep Affects Attendee Engagement. Get more confident about why you as an event organiser should think about your attendees sleep habits.
- Measuring narrative engagement: The heart tells the story. Research paper.
#EventPsychology design hacks
- The psychology of events: Why sticking to a schedule matters. Learn what happens in the brains of your participants if the session overruns.
- Mindful Event Design Whitepaper. Great insights about how physical environments influence event goers.
- Neuroscience Meeting Hacks from Roger Haskett [VIDEO]
- The science of white space at events by Adrian Segar
- How your meeting’s music impacts your audience’s emotion by Cramer
- Paper beats digital in many ways, according to Neuroscience by Roger Dooley
- The surprising power of questions. Useful read when designing event feedback process.
- Give Your Attendees’ Brains a Break, Not a Workout How to create event programme that would not drain participants’ brain.
- Hacking a Behavioral Science Conference. How Behavioral science helps improve conference networking.
- Foods linked to better brainpower
- Background music: effects on attention performance. Research paper
- How Your Meeting’s Music Impacts Your Audience’s Emotion. A great read about setting up the right music as a powerful tool to build emotions you need.
- Influence of Fragrances on Human Psychophysiological Activity: With Special Reference to Human Electroencephalographic Response. Learn various smells’ effect on brain functions. Research paper.
- This Is Your Brain On Storytelling: The Chemistry Of Modern Communication.
- How To Network Better: Effective research-based communication practices [Download required]
- A Case Study Examining the Influence of Conference Food Function on Attendee Satisfaction and Return Intention at a Corporate Conference. [CASE study]
- Does Starbucks Make You Smarter? Coffee, placebo and priming effects – how mere smell of coffee can impact our cognitive functions.
- Events Psychology – Field of the Future for the MICE industry. My first article in the series on the topic.
- The Secret Life of Your Attendee’s Brain. ‘An electrochemistry lab’ running on your participants’ minds and what that means for your event design.
- Creating Brain-Friendly Experiences An Interview with Janet Sperstad, CMP.
- Are we ready to have event neuroscientists? My take on why we need to embrace psychology and neuroscience in event planning.
- 5 ways to make learning stick
- Quiet rest helps us retain detailed memories. Research study
- Learning styles theory: what does neuroscience say?
- How to Apply Neuromarketing to Your Next Event
- 10 Recent Neuromarketing Research Studies (and Their Real-World Takeaways) [Research papers]